Black Chicken Herbal Soup / 乌鸡药材补汤
How To Make: Black Chicken in Coconut Sauce
- 1 1/2 -pound black-skinned chicken, head and feet discarded, cleaned, rinsed and quartered
- 4 cups light chicken stock
- 1 cup Chinese rice wine
- 1 inch-long piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 13 1/2-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 zucchini, trimmed, peeled, and cut into long julienne
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine chicken, stock, wine, ginger, onion, garlic, five-spice powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, covered, until chicken is very tender, 1 to 11/2 hours. Remove chicken and set aside. Strain and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.
- Place a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat, and add oil. When hot, add ginger and garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in curry paste, tomato paste and coconut milk. Add chicken, reserved cooking liquid and a pinch of salt.
- Cover and bring to a gentle simmer. Add zucchini and simmer just until cooked, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in lime juice and transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped basil, and serve.
Also Try: Double Boiled Black Chicken Soup