How To Make: Sambal Udang Petai
- 12 medium-sized shrimps, without shells
- 100 g petai (stink beans), peeled
- 50 ml assam juice or tamarind water, substitute with pomegranate molasses
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 80 g dried large chili, soaked in hot water to soften and drained
- 1 Tbsp palm sugar, substitute with regular sugar
- 1 Tbsp belacan (roasted shrimp paste)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 90 ml vegetable oil
- Blend spice paste. In a blender or food processor, blend shallots, dried large chilies, belacan, vegetable oil and 2 Tbsp water until smooth.
- Fry spice paste. In a pan on medium-high heat, fry spice paste for 4 to 5 minutes until fragrant and oil separates from paste.
- Stir fry shrimps in paste. To the fried spice paste, add shrimps and stir-fry for 1 minute until evenly coated.
- Add petai, palm sugar & assam juice. Toss in petai, palm sugar and assam juice. Stir well and let it cook for 2 to 3. Season to taste with salt.
Also Try: Shrimps Pakora