How To Make: Yellowtail Scad Fish Fry with Salad
- 2 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder (see note)
- 1 tbsp semolina
- 1 tsp fish masala powder (see note)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp finely ground black pepper
- 8 whole yellowtail scad or sardines, cleaned
- 40 gm coconut oil
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- To serve: naan and lime wedges (optional)
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, coarsely chopped
- 1 apple cucumber, peeled, coarsely chopped
- ½ iceberg lettuce, cut into thin wedges
- ½ cup (loosely packed) coriander, torn
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1½ tbsp grapeseed oil
Combine chilli, semolina, fish masala powder, coriander, turmeric and pepper in a small bowl, and season to taste. Rub into fish and set aside.
For cucumber and iceberg salad, combine cucumber, iceberg, coriander and spring onions in a bowl. Dry-roast cumin seeds in a small frying pan until fragrant (30 seconds). Transfer to a mortar and pestle and coarsely crush, transfer to a bowl and whisk in lime juice and oil, season to taste and toss with cucumber mix.
Heat coconut oil in a large, deep-sided frying pan, add some curry leaves, then fry fish in batches, turning once, until golden and crisp (3-5 minutes). Wipe out pan with absorbent paper and repeat with remaining fish and curry leaves. Serve hot with cucumber and iceberg salad and lime wedges.
Also Try: Soy Sauce Yellowtail Scad